- Joined Eastport Volunteer Fire Department in 1974.
- Joined the professional ranks of the Annapolis Fire Department in September 1976.
- Graduated from Anne Arundel Fire Academy in February of 1977.
- Promoted to First Class in September of 1980.
- Promoted to Lieutenant in March of 1992. Assigned as officer in charge Fireboat 35.
- Developed training and operating standards for Fireboat operations.
- Developed a Physical Fitness Program.
- Promoted to Captain on May 1997
- Assigned as the departmentís Training , Safety and Marine Divisions.
- Lead project to acquire accreditation with the Commission on Fire Accreditation International. Accreditation was awarded to the AFD on August 22, 2002.
- Promoted to Battalion Chief in October of 2002.
- Assigned as administrator of the following programs: Special Operations, Fire Marshalís Office, Training& Safety Office, Emergency Medical Services Office, Public Education and Information, Administrative Services and the Maintenance Shop.
- Completed a thorough revision of the departmentís Operating Policy Manual.
- Acquired a Federal grant to outfit all stations with physical fitness equipment.
- Assigned Fire Chief in June 2004 by the Mayor. Confirmed as Fire Chief by the City Council in October 2004.
- Redesigned and implemented a new organizational structure.
- Revised employee job classifications and descriptions.
- Revised Emergency Medical Services quality assurance program.
- Acquired Federal and State grants to replace the departmentís fireboat.
- Acquired Federal grant for fire prevention activities.
- Implemented a mandatory physical fitness training program.
- Retired as Fire Chief in September of 2005.
- My son, Michael P. Lonergan Jr. joined the ranks of the Annapolis Fire Department in September of 2006.
The short version would be:
Served as a Firefighter/ EMT in the field (where the rubber meets the road) from 1976- 1997 and worked in administration from 1997-2005.